Sunday, February 13, 2011

So what's cooking?

As it turns out, a lot! So I figured I'd let y'all know what time it is...

At the moment, I can break down what's happening into three major projects in full effect. Well, there's still two or three minor joints in the works...but they're either on the straight down low, or they're purely experimental (and you know I love doing shit no one's ever done before!).

Anyway, first up is something new. Or, rather, some shit I haven't mentioned here yet. Some of y'all may have heard of this already: a few weeks ago, Mad Joe of Overkill Creations announced a collaboration of epic proportions. A straight up Han's tournament style throw-down of independent artists and sculptors from all over producing custom M.U.S.C.L.E. things.

In a nutshell, you send Mad Joe your custom M.U.S.C.L.E., he resin-casts you 20 for free, and he sells 'em alongside other artists' figures (giving you full credit, of course) to pay for the whole project. It's basically free publicity. Sounds dope, right? Well...it also sounds like a fucking logistical nightmare, unfortunately. I can only imagine the hundreds of idiotic e-mails from non-reading-ass motherfuckers this poor man's gotta wade through on the daily. More power to the brotha, though...I hope this shit works out.

Well, on the local tip, Brownnoize, Sharkfist Designs, and Prometheus Rising Studios, are teaming up to produce these things, too. Oh, we wanna support Mad Joe, so submissions WILL be made for his collabo...but we ain't gonna stop there. We're looking to cast legit rubber (like I said, one of the many side projects I got cooking!). We'll see what happens...

Anyway, for right now, I'm working on a 1-3/4" M.U.S.C.L.E.-style Gin Gin to send Joe. It's a slightly super deformed style version of the "Foe-Gokin". Check it out:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Could be kinda hot, right? Heh...I love this shit!

[On the strength, I used to LOVE the shit outta M.U.S.C.L.E. things when I was little! Basically all my friends and I would play with 'em, trade 'em, carry 'em around with us... Shit was dope.]

Anyway, next up, the Unicron stands. I know MAD heads have been waiting patiently for updates on new stock of the stands. Well, they're being cooked up as we speak--wish I could give y'all a more definite ETA on 'em. I gotta say, though, it's kinda crazy: I've received preorders for just about 3/4 of the stock I have coming! Haha! I guess that's not really that crazy...I'm just floored at how popular these things are. You can tell by all the bitter hatred directed towards me on most TF sites! ;)

So, here's an interesting development in the acrylic department: one of my boys on TBDX asked me if I was interested in making similar acrylic stands for other toys. At first, I said nah...Unicron's the shit and this project was almost like a holy fucking calling to make a perch worthy of the Universal Dominator. But then I got to thinking about it. Many of y'all probably have heard of Yamato's new 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross from Do You Remember, Love?. Well, despite praying to the toy gods daily that Yamato makes a tv version, I couldn't resist picking up the movie version!

Anyway, you see where this is going... Why not design an acrylic stand for this new SDF-1 toy?? Apparently, the stock stand for the Cruiser/Fortress mode blows. First of all, it's black, which just doesn't look good for flying shit...and it holds the toy a whopping three millimeters off the fucking ground! Seriously. What asshole designed this!? Sure, the stock stand also "transforms" to hold up the Storm Attacker (robot) mode. Yeah, great. The robot can already stand on his feet, ass. I mean, peep the CDX review: Atom doesn't even use the stock stand in his shots of the Cruiser!

Well, once I receive the toy, I'ma look it over and see how feasible a nice, tall, clear acrylic joint would be. I'll likely post the idea on TBDX to see what the fellas think. If there's enough interest, I'll probably throw down...but I don't expect nearly as much action as with the Unicron stands (Macross fans are more rabid than Transfans...but the numbers are with the Transfans!).

And lastly, and bestly, we have our homeboy, Gin Gin! I was hoping to have a painted prototype of the final figure by now, but alas...nope. Minor bugs in the system as usual, but things are coming together nicely. In fact, I should have something at the very least for display in about a week or so. Maybe not the final version, but definitely something tantalizing! Stay tuned!

In the meantime, the "Yojimbo" version has been rocking bells! I think I have about three left, and I couldn't ask for a better response from those who threw down. In fact, Yojimbo was featured in a recent TBDX brog repping Dorchester, Mass!

Anyway, that's it for now--and believe me, that's plenty to keep me busy! More later. And I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got anything to add? By all means...